You don’t need to be an expert to reach out – just a good friend and a great listener. With R U OK Day running last week on September 9th, we wanted to remind you that you can be the difference in making some feel better.
The R U OK team aim to empower everyone to meaningfully connect with the people around them and start a conversation with those in their world who may be struggling with life. Not sure how? Try using their four steps to begin a conversation that could change a life:
- Ask R U OK?
- Encourage action
During a time of uncertainty like this where many of us are isolated, potentially without work can increase anxiety, stress and other dark moods. Take action with your loved ones and friends.
R U OK also has a huge selection of activities to spark conversation if the conversation on its own can be challenging for some. We have linked some of our favourites below.
If you are struggling, there are many hotlines and communication services that you can reach out to you. We have written a list below:
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636 (24 hours / 7 days a week)
- eheadspace – 1800 650 890 (8am – midnight / 7 days a week)
- Lifeline – 13 11 14 (24 hours / 7 days a week)
- Kids Helpline (5 years – 25 years) – 1800 55 1800 (24 hours / 7 days a week)
- MensLine Australia – 1300 78 99 78 (24 hours / 7 days a week)